SLC Fire partners with local university programs to offer firefighters the opportunity to complete paramedic certification. Each program has specific prerequisites, which the firefighter is expected to complete in preparation for enrollment in a paramedic program. Learn more about the prerequisites for each program below.
While in school, students are put on a support schedule to maximize their classroom education. We do not have our students work any combat shifts as we want their focus to be solely on their paramedic education. Medical Division staff and Operations Captain are available to help students with needs anytime during the prerequisite and paramedic school process.
• Be an admitted student of Weber State (“W” number assigned)
• Submit a program application by the published deadline for the semester for which you are applying: (Fall application takes place in May, Spring application takes place in September)
• Fall class is traditional day schedule, Spring class is night and weekend schedule.
• Pass the departmental EMT assessment/entrance exam by the published deadline for the semester for which you are applying
• Possess a valid Utah or state EMT certification
• Complete MATH 0990 or higher (C grade or higher) (Option to test out)
• Complete English 1010 or higher (C grade or higher) (Option to CLEP test out)
• Complete Medical Terminology (HTHS 1101 is suggested if taken at WSU, Other 2-credit courses as documented on a transcript are acceptable.) (2 credits) (C grade or higher)
• HTHS 1110/1111 at WSU or ZOOL 2100/2200 at WSU. (May substitute ZOOL 2320/25 and ZOOL 2420/25 from SLCC, UVU, and USU.) Any other substitutions should be addressed by contacting WSU.
• Possess a grade point average 2.7
Applicants must successfully complete the departmental EMT assessment/entrance exam with a minimum of 75% on no more than two attempts. The exam is 100 questions that are application and scenario based using EMT skills and current AHA guidelines.
If after reading the detailed information above you have any additional questions,
please direct them to email@example.com